-=PCTechTalk=- Computer Problems following upgrade

  • From: "Sandi Beach" <sandib2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pctechtalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 17:38:37 -0500

This is what is happening.  Dave came about 2 months ago and added 1 gig of
Ram and installed a new CD/DVD burner.  He brought a new processor but it
did not work so he said he would be back.  With the new burner I was able to
finally install that confounded card program that I had ordered and received
before Christmas.  So all was well.  Dave suggested that a new video card
would probably be a good idea so I told him to bring that along, too, when
he came back with the new processor.  So He did that.  When he opened the
case that day he said it felt pretty warm in there and in checking, I needed
a new power supply.  He left the case open and came back with the power
supply the next morning.  So he actually made 3 trips to my house but only
charged me for two.
I now have (from BeLarc Advisor) 2.67 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4.  System
Model is Intel Corporation.  Running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2.  I
have Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1P (CD-ROM Drive).  I have 80 GB internal hard
drive and a Maxtor 160 GB external hard drive.  Memory is 1024 MB in slot 1
and 256 MB in slot 2.  New Monitor is an Acer 20 inch flat screen.  Video
Card is ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (display adapter).
Since the new processor, new power supply, and new video card was installed
I have experienced several "lockups".  The first thing I noticed though was
that my machine was asking me to reactivate windows.  I did that and put in
all the information they also required. I am pretty sure Dave had to
revalidate XP when he was here but this was different.  Then when I started
to play scrabble the pointer just stopped and would not budge.  I tried CAD
and ESC but to no avail.  I hit the reset button and was back in business.
A day or so later I came back to my computer and had a black screen. It was
locked up again so reset brought it back.  I defragged and I ran check disk
letting it repair anything it found.  I have run virus check and none there.
I have run spyware checks and only get rid of a few cookies each time.  Over
this past week end I managed to play clear through a couple of games of
scrabble.  Today when I tried it locked up immediately.  I went to play
Spider solitaire and it locked up immediately and then asked me to
reactivate windows after the reset.  This is at least the 4th time it has
ask me to reactivate windows.
I have kept Dave apprised of what is happening but I have not heard back
from him.  I think he probably has no clue as to what needs fixing (but
maybe he is just very busy--I need to be kind and give him the benefit of
the doubt).
Now--please help me figure this out.  I can live without games but I really
don't want to and should not have to.  This was supposed to make things
better, not worse.  I don't detect any better performance either except that
I now have a CD/DVD burner that works.
Sandi