-=PCTechTalk=- Bouncing Messages & a block on a Gmail server

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTechTalk" <PCTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:10:16 -0400

I've been working with Sandi to try and figure out why so many of her
messages are bouncing for a little more than an hour or so.  It looks like
one of Google's servers (GMail) is being completely blocked by one of the
subcontracted Spam filter companies.  These are companies that sell
themselves as a Spam remover to ISPs and other email servers (including the
free ones).

Well, if the entire GMail server is being blocked, that means Sandi is
probably not the only person having problems.  If this also applies to you
and you've been unable to get anything through to the group, rest assured
that we ARE aware of the problem.  The problem with this is that this has
nothing to do with anything that PCTT or Freelists can control, other than
to try to get in touch with ISPs, Google and other email services in an
almost futile attempt to help the powers that be track any of this down.
Anyone who has ever tried to get a straight answer from, say Yahoo for
example, should immediately understand what I mean by that.

So, if you are one of the folks who are receiving bounce reports when you
try to send something to the group, please try to get in touch with your own
ISP and tell them what's going on so that they can look into it.  There is
one part of the bounce report that indicates that the blocked IP is
66.249.92.168.  This has been confirmed to me as one of Gmail's servers.  It
is being blocked by a Spam filtering service run by www.ordb.org.  The full
error message (but not the entire report) is shown below.

PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 12): 553 5.3.0 Rejected as possible spam -
your server 64.233.166.181 is in blacklist http://www.ordb.org - contact
your company or provider postmaster to fix