[pchelpers] error messages and KERNEL32.DLL

  • From: "Lee and Debby" <lpfingsten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 17:55:47 -0600

My computer tests out with NO virus, just an error message now and then =
when shutting down, not every time I shut down. It's a kernel dll thing. =

I went to the Microsoft home page and checked out error messages for the =
Windows I am running and did according to their instructions and so far =
so good.=20

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;EN-US;q197791&GSSNB=3D=
1

Here are their instructions which I followed for Windows98:

  a.. Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition=20
  a.. Microsoft Windows 98=20
  a.. Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition=20

-------
If this article does not describe the error message that you are =
receiving, view the following Microsoft Web site to view more articles =
that describe error messages:=20
  =
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/topics/errormsg/emresctr.asp=
=20

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to start or shut down Windows 98 or Windows Millennium =
Edition (Me), or to start Windows Explorer, you may receive one of the =
following error messages:=20

  TASKMON caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL=20

  EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL.=20

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if log files in the Windows\Applog folder are =
damaged. When you shut down Windows 98 or Windows Me, the Task Monitor =
tool attempts to update these log files. When it cannot do so, the error =
message occurs.=20

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:=20

  1.. Double-click My Computer on the desktop.=20

  2.. Double-click the drive that contains the Windows folder.=20

  3.. On the View menu, click Folder Options .=20

  4.. Click the View tab. Under the Hidden Files section, click Show All =
Files .=20

  5.. Click OK .=20

  6.. Double-click the Windows folder.=20

  7.. Right-click the Applog folder, click Rename , type a new name for =
the folder (such as Applog2), and then press ENTER.=20

  8.. Restart your computer. The Applog folder and log files are =
re-created automatically.=20