[pchelpers] Re: WT Lib 2011 crash

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 20:56:48 -0700

Ellen, if u go to control panel > administrative tools > event viewer,
you'll find 2 logs called applications & system. Right click each,
select 'Save as Text' from the popup menu that appears, then send them
me. I'll have a look to see what sorts of errors the app generates.

My own suspicion, though, is that malware still remains on your
computer. Sometimes these "music files" carry a payload called a
rootkit, & these are hard to find when the infected operating system
is running. The best thing to do in such cases is download a rescue
disk from 1 of the virus vendors, boot from it, & scan for malware
that way.

If that's something you're not interested in doing, then my other
suggestion is to scan w/something like Malwarebytes
(www.malwarebytes.org), or superantispyware.com
(www.superantispyware.com. They can find some of these nasties for
certain, but, if it's a bad rootkit, it might evade them.

Lastly, should the problem persist, we might want to consider a scan
w/a program called HijackThis, which, as many on list already know, is
1 I tell folks to lose a lot. But let's start w/these measures
1st--rule out a bad hard drive, faulty application, etc., & go from
there.

--
Blame the computer--why not? It can't defend itself & occasionally
might even be the culprit