[pchelpers] Re: Virtual Memory MInimum Too Low

  • From: Gerald Gollinger <gerald3nyc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:01:03 -0700 (PDT)

John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Gerald Gollinger wrote:
>>From time to time the above subject message appears on my task bar. I only
>>have 256 MB RAM on my present Compaq Presario running Windows XP Home. Is
>>increasing Random Access Memory the solution?
>
> If the present Dell sale lasts through next week I will visit a Dell Center
> kiosk and purchase a newer and better Windows XP PC. Will this solve Virtual
> Memory Minimum problems?
>
> Gerald
Your virtual memory problems can likely be solved one of 2 ways (both
cheaper than a new PC).
1) Adjusting the memory settings in the system area of the control panel.
2) Buying some extra memory and installing it an an empty slot in the
machine.

  True,  but  there are other problems:  usb 2 scanner backward compatibility
to usb 1.1  and either a defective printer or defective parallel port which
could be solved with a usb 2 printer.   The present pc is over four  years old
 and there is a potential battery problem.   SP2  is compatible with my
peripherals;  vista may not be.