[pchelpers] Re: Using USB 1.1 peripherals on USB 2 PC

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 08:53:51 +1200

Gerald Gollinger wrote:
> Now  I  have a reverse problem.  My  PC  tuner, scanner,  Ethernet / usb
> modem,  and hub may be USB 1.1.      A  new  PC  for  $400  would  be great.
> Sooner or later I  will  need  a new PC. The disk drive could  go bad, a
> transformer can blow  out  etc.   What about the peripherals?
>
>   Gerald
It is easy to justify a change based on what might happen. From the
sound of things, the system is mostly alright. As a rule, most if not
all USB 1.1 devices will plug into a USB2 and work fine. Inserting a
card on a standard PC takes about 5 minutes once the box is open.
Disconnect the mains power lead, unscrew the cover and look for an empty
slot.

Once one is spotted, place one hand on the metal case for grounding.
Avoid touching the chips or card edges directly. Loosen the screws to
either side of the slot so you can insert the card more easily. Push it
in gently but firmly to the bottom of the slot and screw it in place.
Tighten the screws to either side again and close the case. After that
you can power up and test it.

--
Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>
ICQ number 112663246