[pchelpers] News: Ask.com Unveils Blog And Feed Search

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PC-Helpers <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 08:37:08 +1200

  The search site plans to add a Blogs & Feeds tab to its Internet
search tools menu and to more thoroughly integrate its search engine
with its online news aggregation site, Bloglines.

  By Thomas Claburn
InformationWeek
Jun 1, 2006 12:01 AM
  Like Google, Ice Rocket, Sphere, Technorati, and Yahoo before it,
Ask.com is wading into the blogosphere.

On Thursday, the Oakland, Calif.-based search site plans to add a Blogs
& Feeds tab to its Internet search tools menu and to more thoroughly
integrate its search engine with its online news aggregation site,
Bloglines.

"The other guys are taking their eyes off the ball," says Daniel Read,
Ask.com's VP of consumer products and user experience, referring to
efforts by the major search engines to promote services unrelated to
search. "We believe what we've come up with is truly industry-leading
search."

Google seems to have anticipated such criticism. In a press event in
early May at Google's corporate headquarters, CEO Eric Schmidt said,
"Search is still central," adding later, "We have a heavy, heavy
investment in new search algorithms."

Industry-leading though its technology may be, Ask.com's market share
lags. With 5.8% of the search market in April, according to comScore
Networks, a 0.3% decline over the course of a year, Ask.com currently
ranks 5th behind Google, Yahoo, MSN, and Time Warner Network. But
Ask.com keeps searching for a way to improve its position.

"The reason we're getting into blog search," says Read, "is it's the
fastest growing content type on the Web."

Indeed, bloggers generate a lot of content. The blogosphere is doubling
in size every six months and is 60 times larger than it was three years
ago, according to blog search site Technorati.com, which tracks almost
40 million blogs.

Ask.com claims its Ask Blogs & Feeds is "the most robust index of
content on the Web," covering somewhere between 4 and 6 million new blog
posts daily, for a total index of about 1.5 billion articles. Technorati
claims to index 1.2 million new blog posts each day.

More here:
http://www.informationweek.com/internet/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=C1V4W1BBT1Z3IQSNDBOCKICCJUMEKJVN?articleID=188700519
--
Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>