[pchelpers] Re: At last!! Success at transferring Thunderbird settings to New Drive (for Ekhart)

  • From: Nigel <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:37:10 +0000

Ekhart GEORGI (last name last) wrote:

>Hi Nigel
>
> > Hi all Im having difficulty conecting to the thunderbird help pages. I
> > need to transfer EVERYTHING in Thunderbird )folders address book etc.)
> > frpm one hard drive to another as the drive is heading for a crash. How
> > do I do it?
>
>The help pages are being moved to Mozilla.org from the originally
>private location. It looks like there's some technical problem.
>The Mozilla forum's knowledge base is usually a very good source of help
>too:
>http://kb.mozillazine.org/
>http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Thunderbird_:_FAQs
>http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Thunderbird_:_FAQs#File_Locations,_Migration,_and_Backup/Restore
>Look at the links on the following lines in the above link:
>Where are my  mail, address books, and settings stored? Where is my
>Thunderbird profile folder/directory?
>How should I back up my profile(s)? How do I restore profiles or migrate
>them to another computer?
>
>Unfortunately, in this case, the directions look much more complicated
>than necessary. (Once you've moved ("migrated") your profile, you can
>edit the knowledge base (-: ) -- I think all you have to do is copy your
>profile folder to the new drive and then install TB. It should find the
>profile folder if you put it in the standard location for your operating
>system. Let me know if you need more help.
>
>Ek

Thanks Ekhart

I was finally able to get it done. A bit of trial and error but all the
contacts and settings are now the default folder on the new drive.

At first it would use the newly created profile as the default so i had
to create a new profile and then change it to this one.

Thanks for the info

Nigel