[pchelpers] Article:Internet pioneer Vint Cerf warns over address changes

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:14:27 +1300

11 November 2010 Last updated at 15:51 GMT
The internet could face years of instability as it moves to a new
addressing system, one of the network's original architects has warned.

Vint Cerf, one of the fathers of the internet, spoke as the UK was urged
to begin using the new addressing system.

With current addresses due to run out in 2012, nations and businesses
must get on with switching, said Mr Cerf.

During the switch internet links could become unreliable, making sites
and services hard to reach, Mr Cerf said.

"This has to happen or the internet will stop growing or will not be
growable," he said of the move to the addressing system.

The net has grown to its current size using version 4 of its addressing
scheme (IPv4), which allows for about 4.3 billion addresses.

Estimates suggest that this pool of addresses will be exhausted by the
end of January 2012.

more here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11736394
--