[patriots] FW: Statement from Ashley Mote following trial at Southwark Crown Court 15 May 2015

  • From: annette rose smith <annette-rose-smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "patriots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <patriots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 23:15:58 +0100

From: ashley.mote43@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ashley.mote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Statement from Ashley Mote following trial at Southwark Crown Court
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 11:05:20 +0100

Statement from Ashley
Mote following trial at Southwark Crown Court

15 May
2015

The verdicts against me, delivered after the jury’s lunch and deliberations
lasting a mere 90 minutes or so, surprised and shocked me and my legal
team.

The trial lasted a full four weeks. It was overwhelmed by hundreds of
pages of detailed numerical analysis, much of it disputed. In the end, my
five successive days of cross-examination and all the defence evidence and
rebuttal counted for nothing. It was obviously ignored.

I am advised we have good grounds for an appeal, and work is starting on it
immediately. Meanwhile, the judge has called for reports.

As my many supporters already know, I spent five years after my unexpected
election to the European Parliament in 2004 fighting tirelessly towards the UK
leaving the EU lunatic asylum, and meanwhile trying to protect the interests of
constituents in SE England. Millions of Brits want the UK’s independence
and freedom as a global trading nation restored. That was my aim,
too.

As my eBook memoirs A Mote in Brussels’ Eye prove
in great detail, I was increasingly supported in Brussels by a growing number
of
bureaucrats turned whistle-blowers, and others, who wanted the EU’s
institutionalised corruption and mismanagement cleaned up. During those
five years I spent enormous amounts of time and money pursuing that aim.
The jury heard little of it.

Despite being based on my daily diary, the book itself was not allowed as
evidence in court, except a few specific extracts relating to previous
evidence.

This was a huge handicap, as were two other obstacles put in my way by the
current judicial system. Despite being 79 and with serious, medically
diagnosed, memory problems, I was not permitted to use notes in the witness
box. Even worse was the prosecution’s freedom to use my court case in
2007, when the EU tried to exploit a legal situation to unseat me, as evidence
against me in this case, too. I have effectively been tried twice on the
issue of my benefit claim when I was out of work 20 years ago.

Together with the understandable current climate of cynicism against anyone
in politics, with hindsight these factors combined to make a successful defence
virtually impossible.

Surprised at the outcome? Yes. Bitter at the current judicial
system? Yes. Beaten? No.