[passtartoursgroup] I need input about Leprecon and where we should set up

  • From: Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Star Tours Group <passtartoursgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 11:24:36 -0700

Good morning Star Tours Members,

Can I have a few of you look at this link

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6238876,-112.1139779,166m/data=!3m1!1e3

This is where we will be setting up to do the star party for the Leprecon
convention at the embassy Suites Phoenix North and based on what I see, and
the fact that I looked to see where our objects will be that night, I'm
thinking the South End of the building, however, that isn't the best
location for drawing traffic to our telescopes.

The best place would be where there is a clear view to the East and West,
along the South side of the building.

At first, I thought the S.W. corner, closest to the freeway, but i notice
that is a road, not a corner where we can set up and i don't know if we can
block that area.

Then, i thought, well maybe to the East of that, staying at the S end of
the building, but then there is another building in that same area, that
would block the view.

The objects we have for the night are Moon and Saturn rising in the East
and Jupiter and Venus setting in the West.
So, seeing both directions, E and W is preferred.

We could do a main building set up, like last time. The lighting wasn't all
that great, but we could see the brighter objects, so do the N E up by the
main entrance, i that parking lot area, but then, would we see enough of
the West side to catch Jupiter and Venus?

Another ideas was along N 25th Drive
which is the long curvy road from Greenway to Banff,
and at the point at the end of the main Embassy building where the road in
the subdivision comes diagonally out from the building to the lower right
of the screen. That might be an ok, and darker area to set up.

What are your thoughts? I'd like to pin down the location so they
can announce it on the website before it is too late to have our event
posted with proper info. Give me ideas, thanks.

I will be sending the RSVP's later today, if i get it all done and
collected. If you want to do Both Friday and Saturday, please be sure you
are signed up for it. No one chose Thursday so I am removing that one from
the site.

Attendance:

June 26 Friday

Sam
Maybe William, Terri, Amanda for star party only

June 27 Saturday

William 10"
Terri & Amanda (Storm) handouts
Howard 8"
Don 8"

We could use more attendance since we have 4 objects to show and not enough
scopes to cover all 4 objects at once. : )

Terri, Event Coordinator

Visit the P.A.S. Facebook
Visit my Music Page: Private Music Instructor
<http://www.MusicLessonsbyTerri.com> & Music Facebook