[passcoalition] Re: bulbouts and pedestrian refuges

  • From: Ken Stewart <cclvi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:14:37 -0800 (PST)

I think Gene will agree that a bulbout usually is a peninsula rather than an
island.  It is an expansion of the sidewalk out into the first lane of the
street to, as Gene explains, shorten the distance for pedestrians to cross.
Typically, it also makes safer the approach angle of vehicles turning into the
other crosswalk, the one perpendicular to the bulbout's crosswalk.  Since it
only blocks the curb lane, which is primarily a parking lane, the bulbout is
not intended to restrict the flow of straight-ahead traffic.  "Neck downs" are
used for that purpose.  A protected area/island part way across a crossing is
commonly referred to as a "pedestrian refuge", I believe.  I agree we should
advocate for an APS installation with a locater tone on bulbouts and refuge
islands, and for tactile navigational features on them, especially because they
have rounded edges , more than detectible edges parallel to or perpendicular to
the path of travel.  I understand
 that the D of T has already installed on at least one Manhattan street, a
bulbout to create a bus stop too.