[passcoalition] Monday's Meeting at 7th and 23rd

  • From: "Karen Gourgey" <kgourgey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:10:02 -0400

Hi Everybody,

Annalyn, Gene and I did a walk-through on Thursday evening  Annalyn did a
summary of our questions, I added a couple of tweaks; I'm pasting it below.
It raises exactly the kinds of things that will come up all over the city,
so I think this is really a worthwhile exercise.  If we can get some buy-in
from DOT here, moving forward might (emphasis on the "might,") go a little
more smoothly. .

Anyhow, here's the summary.

PASS Concerns Regarding 7th Avenue and 23rd Street

Southeast Corner

Placement of APS

What is referred to as a transit island in the plan appears to be a bulbout.
Anyone waiting to cross 7th Avenue would not encounter traffic until
reaching the western edge of the pedestrian island.  An APS should be placed
on the pedestrian island so the locater tone can indicate where a person
should stand to begin crossing.

Placement of Detectable Warning Strip (DWS)

The detectable warning strip should be placed only on the western-most edge
of the pedestrian island to indicate where the pedestrian will encounter
moving traffic.  DWSs should not be placed on the curb cut for 7th Avenue or
the east side of the pedestrian island.

Relationship of curb cut to cut through

The present curb cut for 7th Avenue does not lead directly to the cut
through on the pedestrian island.  A blind person walking from the curb cut
will encounter the upcurb of the traffic island.  When stepping onto the
upcurb, they will encounter an object which may eventually be a light pole.
Blind pedestrian would need to figure out where the cut-through is and then
finish the crossing.  Time could very easily run out.

Surface treatment to indicate traffic-free zone

Northwest Corner

Placement of APS

The APS for the west crosswalk should be placed on the eastside of the
traffic pole to ensure that a white cane or dog guide will be seen by
southbound drivers turning west onto 23rd Street.  A person standing on the
west side of the pole may be hidden from drivers' view by the traffic
control box.

Northeast corner

Cut through on north pedestrian island

Can the northern edge of the cut through be widened by 24 inches to better
alighn with the existing APS?

Do the white lines painted on the sidewalk indicate the curb cuts will be
replaced?  Will the curbcut at the apex of the corner be replaced by a curb
cut for 23rd Street that indicates directionality?  Will curb cuts include
DWS?  Where will APS be placed?

Southwest corner

Do the white lines painted on the sidewalk indicate the well-placed curb
cuts will be replaced?  Will the new curb cuts maintain the directionality
and include DWs.  Where will the APS be placed?

Signaling.  Will the "flashing don't walk" signal be of sufficient length to
allow a low vision individual to complete a crossing?

Turns.  In any case where traffic is allowed to turn, can we confirm that
all turns will be lagging rather than leading?