[pasmembers] Want to tounc on a topic brought up last night

  • From: Terri <cosmicstarstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PAS ListServ <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:16:37 -0800 (PST)

Good morning PAS members,

At last night's Meeting of the Minds, it was brought up that
we have various links to get info about events, through our calendar
on pasaz.org. And I"d like to tell you the situation.

The Public calendar has on it the listing of Public and Private events.
The Info is in brief and not very detailed if it is a Private
event, as we feel the public doesn't need to know the locations
of some of our events. However, we need it as a place holder because
otherwise, a school may wish to have us do an event on a date that is
already booked. And many of you have given me your concern about
double booking dates in our calendar. We only double book if there
is enough scopes to cover both events.

The Private calendar has the data that I have recieved, usually prior to
receiving the booking doc. Once i put the data into the calendar,
I can change it until there is an RSVP. Once someone RSVP's on the
calendar, if i make anychanges to the data in the Private Caendar,
it deletes the RSVP's. So that is the purpose of the Forum thread.

And in the Public and Private calendars, I try to include the forum thread
so that all info is available to anone attending the events.

So, let's use an example. Public event... Let's say we are wanting to know
about the ASU West evnet coming upon Mar 15. It's a public event, so there
is no listing in the Private calendar for it. but within the listing on Mar 15
in
the public calendar, is a forum link that takes you to the data about that
event.
In this case there are no RSVP's becuase they go through Paul, but if there
were and I had to change the date or time of the event, then the RSVP's would
dissappear. So, I created a forum thread, and that is where the info, the
discussion by other members, and other details are discussed.

Now, I can, and have before, taking the RSVP's, copied and pasted them into the
calendar so that they are there, when i make the changes to the event. But the
forum thread is really where all up to date info is put. As things change, the
updates are added to the forum thread.

Now, the other thing that is of interest is that every time I put something
new, or someone comments on a forum thread.... it shows up as UNREAD in your
forum list of threads. So, if Don replies and says he will attend that event,
it comes up as a New comment in the thread about ASU West. Thus, each time i
add something
to the Forum thread, as long as it is a new "reply," it should show up as a new
thread comment and therefore you wouldn't have to go hunt for the info. Plus,
you can alwasy start inthe calendar, where you know the event info is already
posted. Each event has a forum thread, eventually, closer to the date of the
event.

For instance, Bookman's events... when we get our first RSVP for these events,
or it is about a week or so away, i create a thread to start the process of
keeping tabs on what is being talked about, shared, who is attending, etc. All
events have a forum thread eventually.

The other thing that was discussed last night is the fact that you click on an
event,
it takes you to a page that tells you something about the event, then you have
to click again to get to a map or pdf about the event. I haven't mastered
putting attachments into the forums. Also, I wouldn't want to if we need it
again for
another event. It is easier for me to store the pdf's and jpgs in the downloads
section of the site, and find it that way, then to put it into the forum
thread,
and then have to hunt down the forum thread to find that item again for next
year's event. Thus the reason i use links a lot within our site.

William suggested that PAS consider paying 1 person to take care of the
website. However, to make it worth their time, we'd have to do a lot of fund
raisers to make it worth their while. The system I set up works for me.
It keeps the Public events and the private events separate. It has all the links
you need to find out about the event.

if you can find an easier way to do this, I'm open for suggestions. I didn't say
our website was all that user friendly, but the forums play a big part in
maintaining the data. For instance, I wouldn't get rid of the forums just
because
we now have a list serv. What if you weren't attending ASU West, as of today,
and so you deleted all the data that came in about the event, from your email,
that came though the list serve. How would you get the info you need, if you
decided,
a few days prior to the event, you then wanted to do the event? You wouldn't
because the list serv is right then. You get the email, and it is up to you to
file
it and keep it, or if you delete it, then it is gone. With the forums, the data
stays there. It is there for reference. It is there so we don't' have to have
me send out additional emails through the list serv to get the data to those
attending.

So, when you think about what we have, as far as a website, it is designed to
be a reference point. I post the events, I provide all the additional links to
the data
is needed, and until someone can give me an easier way to do it that makes
sense, it will be done this way. And yes, it is a bit of work. No less than 1/2
hour per each event i post, that i get a booking doc for. Sometimes longer as i
also
chat with the person through email to get additional details that are needed.

I just wanted to share this with you.
I'm doing it the easiest way I know how, that works for what we have.
Use the forums as reference to find out about events.
Use the links provided in the calendar to get to those details.
I'm sorry if there are so many links, but it is easier on me to provide
them, than have to hunt them down on my computer (that may fail,
as computers do.. you know the saying... there are 2 kinds of computers -
those that have failed, and those that will fail.) and post the data
over and over, when i can just go find the data in our downloads section
and provide the link for you to get the data. It is shorter for you to go get
it via a link than it is for me to provide it, each time i have to create
this event, each year.

Hope everyone is having a super day.
I just wanted everyone to know what I do in the calendar
so you understand why we have so many links to get
to the needed data.

And yes, i can make sure more data is in the calendar
part, but really the forums is where all data, all updates
belong as it is updated as the data comes in to me.

Terri, Event Coordinator

Visit the P.A.S. Blog & My Facebook
Private Music Instructor, Ascent Vending Company
Healthy, Wealthy & Wise with Acai Berry