[pasmembers] Re: Scale in The Universe

  • From: LPhxAZ <lphxaz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:59:12 -0700

Jenny, thanks for the demo.

just to point out, when I talked about the loss of a sense of scale, I was
*not* talking about Slooh (or other imaging methods).   I was talking about
ready-made pictures, as on APOD, where we don't even know the size of the field
of view or magnification.

in various imaging methods (whether Slooh, itelescope, mytelescope, or when
viewing or imaging through your own equipment) you at least know the size of
the field of view and magnification, so at least you have a sense of the
angular size of the object - even though, of course, angular size isn't actual
size, and distance must be taken into account.  but still, it gives you a
little bit of information.

(btw, on this note - I have a way to quickly calculate actual size of an
object, given its distance and its angular size as we see it.)