[pasannounce] Upcoming PAS Events for August & September 2014

  • From: Terri <starstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PAS Announce <pasannounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 11:50:07 -0700

Good morning PAS Members,

There have been some changes to the schedule lately that I want to update
with you and make sure everyone is on the same page. The calendar is
correct.

Today is Aug 6.

This Saturday *Aug 9*, we have a wonderful Lecture by Mike at Mike's home
in Carefree. RSVP is required. You don't have to attend the potluck to
attend the lecture, but when you RSVP, please let us know if you are NOT
attending the Potluck, so we can estimate how many are in attendance, for
those of us who bring extra food, when extra people are attending.
If you are attending the Potluck, please pop over to Perfect Potluck for
this event, and put in the main dish and drink you will be providing for
this potluck. The last couple potlucks have been awesome. Just enough food
and variety to keep everyone happy. William & Terri will be bringing pizza.
I will update Perfect Potluck with that info after I get this sent out.

Also, there is a storm due for this weekend. Originally it was supposed to
rain cats and dogs Fri, Sat and Sun. They have now moved it to only Sunday.
So, we shoudl be good to attend Mike's. A rain storm, light rain, won't
affect Mike's lecture, however, a heavy rain will cancel the event. Mike's
driveway, if it rains heavily, will be mush and so Mike usually cancels the
event if it is raining too hard. So, watch for an announcement through
email, should you see heavy rain in the forecast for Saturday. And if we do
cancel this Saturday due to rain, we can bump this lecture to the next
Saturday. I don't see this happening, but I wanted to let everyone know
what we have in mind for a back up date, should the monsoons decide to mess
up our schedule.

Moving on in the month of August:

*Aug 10* is the next Bookmans Telescope workshop. Currently there are no
RSVP's but we are going to be there, even without RSVp's, as we have had
walk-ins and people curious what we are doing have picked up fliers, so as
long as we are going to be there, if you want to attend to chat, please
come along. If we need help, watch your email... I believe last year at
this time, we had a bunch of people wanting help with their scopes. So,
just in case something happens between now and Sunday, keep your eyes on
your email.

*Aug 18* Monday: If the monsoons aren't in the way and you want to get out,
view and possibly photograph, there is a Conjunction of Venus and Jupiter
this evening. Anyone taking photos could send them my way for inclusion in
the PAS Photo Gallery.
Speaking of which, I will be updating the Photo Gallery over the next few
months. If you have photos you havne't sent my way yet, and would like to
get them included in the collection, be sure to include captions, or if
not, then at least send me the camera, scope, settings, etc to include in
the caption and credit will, of course, go to you for such wonderful photos
you have shared. You can send photos of anything astronomy related, that
you attended. Doesn't have to be a PAS event, and doesn't have to be a sky
event, like a conjunction. Anything you want historically stored on the PAS
Website, please send them over now while I'm doing these updates to the
site. Share your photos. You can email them over, and if there are too many
to email, trade me your burned photo CD for a blank CD at the next time we
meet up. Remind me to bring you a blank burnable CD.

*Aug 23* is Coppercon. The last several Con's we have attending have been
awesome. Again, we are asking for Day Passes and I need to know, ahead of
time, if you plan to attend the star party on Saturday Aug 23, and get a
day pass for that day's activities, ahead of time. Don't wait until the
23rd to let me know. As time gets closer, i will pin down what date our
contact for that event needs to know how many will be attending from PAS.
You don't have to have a scope to attend. If you want a day pass and can do
handouts that night, I can use the help. What we did at Comicon was Matt
did handouts while Kevin, William and Howard worked their scopes. I
answered questions, talked about the club, did handouts and a few other
things, like Q & A with the kids, and Mike did Meteorites, and we were all
exhausted but had a super time, that evening and all day long. So, if you
can do handouts, plan to be on your feet during the whole evening event,
let me know so I can get you a day pass for your assistance. Also, Matt
helped carry our equipment, but in this case, we should be able to unload
right where we are setting up and then move our vehicles to a parking spot,
since this is in the parking lot of the event venue, where as Comicon, we
had about 1/4 mile to walk to where we were setting up and moving our
vehicle would be another $15 to get back into the parking garage.  Sign up
today, so i have the list of attendees. Thanks.

*Aug 30* is Mike's last lecture of the season. Again, RSVP for the potluck,
let us know if you are only attending the lecture, and we will see you
there!

Moving into September 2014:

All Meetings at PVCC are being held in *LS-205* from 7pm to 10pm for the
Fall 2014 Semester.

*Sept 4*: PAS Meeting. This is the meeting in which Members get to do
presentations. If no one has a presentation, I found a great 1 hour show on
Amazon Prime that I'd like to share with the attendees. It' has to do with
astronomy and physics. I've watched it but would love to watch it again.
It's called "The Science of Dr. Who." What's cool about it is I wish I
could get the presenter for a guest speaker for PAS. He is awesome! But he
is in England, so chances are, we can't con him  into coming our way
without a lot of cost involved. The topic covers time travel, black holes,
Einstein, Tesla, and a few other great discovers of science.
So, I'd like to have an hour of PAS Members' presentations and then put
this show on for the last hour of the evening, unless we get enough
presentations that we don't have do the video at this meeting. We can do it
at a future meeting when we don't have enough presenters.

*Sept 7*: Telescope Workshop at Bookmans - Watch for announcements for if
extra help is needed. Would love to  have your company at this event.

*Sept 11*: is our next Meeting of the Minds. Remember, we attempt to have a
MOM every 3 months, whether we have topics to talk about or not. And first
we discuss the items on the Agenda, then we open it up to presentations and
videos, movies, show and tell, or documentaries. So, if you have something
to present, get your topic and the length of the presentation to me so that
i can add you to the schedule. We'd love to have you at this meeting,
helping out. Remember, Meeting of the minds are parties, so bring a snack
to share, water will be provided by Prez Bruce, and if you don't like
bottled water, BYO. Start sending your topics for discussion to me, today.

And Sept 26: Rancho Gabriela school in Surprise is on Sept 26. PAStimes
Star Tour Members sign up to assist. There is $$ and food for this event.
No scope limit at this time.

Hey look, there aren't any Saturday events scheduled for Sept 2014. We
should have something scheduled. What kind of things would you like to do?
Do we want to schedule a Sidewalk event at Bookmans? or maybe help out with
their day event and do a Solar viewing at Bookmans on the last Saturday?
Give me some ideas!

Thank you all for helping at events where help is needed. Thank you also
for attending and supporting Mike's lecture series.
If you didn't hear about it already, we are planning, over the next 2
years, to borrow a room at PVCC in which we can let Mike do a 3 hour
lecture, probably 7pm to 10pm, and record it so that we may post it to
YouTube. When we do those events, invite everyone you know. I hope to have
a large room and have asked Jenny to invite all her students to attend, and
get the word out about it. So, watch for announcements of these events. Why
over the next 2  years??? A room may be hard to come by that is big enough
to accommodate 50+. A class room may not be big enough to make it work in
our favor. So, Mike will be presenting his lectures at PVCC, as he is ready
to, and as we have rooms available to us. What we need from you is help
recording these lectures. If you have a way to do a 3 hour recording of
Mike's lectures, let me know so we can have you help with the recording, to
make the lecture that much more interesting. And then we need someone to
assemble the video with the audio and other things of interest to include.
This will be a project that takes a while to get done. And input is
requested and help is needed.

The other plan we have is to record the PAS Meetings so that if someone
can't make it to the meeting, they can at least watch what happened at the
meeting, and then post that to You Tube for our members to watch. Plus it
will may be a great way to get more people to come to the meetings if they
see what fun we have during the meetings. And we can record the Meeting of
the Minds as well, but not make it public access. By invite only, through
the PAS list serv, or something. Haven't decided how to do that just yet.

Hope you are having a spectacular Wednesday. Once September and the Monsoon
Season is over, we will be very busy the rest of this year. Schools are
asking for us to be there, and I'm setting them up.

Terri, Event Coordinator

Visit the P.A.S. Facebook
Visit my Music Page:  <http://betterfly.com/pro/musicbyterri>Private Music
Instructor <http://betterfly.com/pro/musicbyterri> & Music Facebook