[overture] Re: RigidBodyMotion: Light Particles

  • From: Bill Henshaw <henshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists <overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 07:26:12 -0700

Hi Dominic,

  It should be perfectly safe to increase the number of corrector steps
to any value. This will make the time-stepping more stable.
I will add a new option so that one can set the number of corrector
steps in the cmd file.

...Bill

#DOMINIC DENVER JOHN CHANDAR# wrote:
Hi Dr Henshaw,
I realize that there is the improved Euler's method you have included in cg.v22 (Rigidbodymotion.C) . I havnt completely migrated to v22 so i use the new rigidbodymotion.C along with v.21. I find reasonable comparison with experimental results in terms of average fall velocity and angular velocity for falling objects when i use the improved eulers method .... but i have to increase the number of corrector steps in ims.C . ( I guess the default is 2 corrector steps). Does this have any other consequences ? or is it correct to increase it blindly. I understand that the relationship between forces and velocity is implicit and we need more corrector steps, but i just want to make sure im on the right track ... btw.. in cgins too if i use the default number of corrector steps, it blows up for low density bodies using improved Eulers method. Regards,
Dominic