[overture] Re: Grid between boxex

  • From: Bill Henshaw <henshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:02:53 -0700

Hi Jon,

  Making a good grid for a box in a box is actually a very
hard problem even though you may think it should be the
one the easiest problems. The big issue are the convex
corners. The solution to almost any PDE will have a singular
behaviour near the convex corner. It is best to round off
the corners. In 2d I would use the smoothed polygon mapping
(see for e.g. Overture/sampleGrids/stir.cmd) In 3D you could look at the
example Overture/sampleGrids/buildings3.cmd where grids
are made for some "buildings". These examples could be
extended to make a cube in a cube.

Regards,
  Bill.
P.S. I apologize now since I should have replied to an email
that you sent some time ago.

Jon Tegner wrote:
Hi!

This is probably a really stupid question...

Suppose I want to make a grid between two boxes, a smaller one centered inside a bigger one (i.e. the grid is inside the big box). Is there an "easy" way to generate this grid, or do I have to build all the domains (6? of them) explicitly?

Regards,

/jon