[overture] Re: Axisymmetric Flow

  • From: Bill Henshaw <henshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: R C <recif@xxxxxxxxx>, freelists <overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 08:37:06 -0800

Dear Ravi,

  If I recall, the radial velocity should satisfy v(x,0)=0, and v(x,y)=v(x,-y)
near y=0
for axisymmetric flow which implies v.y(x,0)=0

Regards,
  Bill

R C wrote:
Dear Dr. Henshaw,
 In looking through the source code for ins.C in Overblown, it appears that for
the axisymmetric case, the substitution: (1/y) v.y - v/y^2 -> v.yy - .5*v.yy =
0.5*v.yy is made in the radial component of the Navier-Stokes equation at y=0.
It seems to me that this would require the radial derivative of the radial
velocity v.y at y=0 to be zero, which would not be the case in general.
However, I am not sure how to eliminate the apparent singularity in this case.
Could you tell me how this general case is handled in Overblown? Thanks for your assistance.

Ravi