[ourplace] tremulous: Word of the Day

  • From: "Marty Rimpau" <mrimpau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "our place list" <ourplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 05:03:54 -0700

Dictionary.com Word Of The Day
Oct. 25, 2015
tremulous \TREM-yuh-luhs\ adjective
1. (of persons, the body, etc.) characterized by trembling, as from
fear, nervousness, or weakness.
2. timid; timorous; fearful.
Quotes The bridge was tremulous beneath me, and marked the tremor of
the solid earth.
-- Nathaniel Hawthorne, "My Visit to Niagara," The Dolliver Romance and
Other Pieces, 1876 Origin Tremulous stems from the Latin word tremulus
which is the adjectival form of the verb tremere meaning "to tremble."
More From Dictionary.com Submit a favorite word for a chance to win!
Submit your favorite word to be a future Word of the Day Our iPhone App
Our award-winning iPhone app just got better Word Dynamo
Dictionary.com's new word game for iOS