[ourplace] propinquity: Word of the Day

  • From: "Marty Rimpau" <mrimpau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "our place list" <ourplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 05:45:12 -0800

Dictionary.com Word Of The Day
Dec. 02, 2015
propinquity \proh-PING-kwi-tee\ noun
1. Nearness in place; proximity.
2. affinity of nature; similarity.
Quotes On Saturday in his home town, Dunblane, Murray marries his
long-time partner Kim Sears. In a little over a month he turns 28;
Djokovic, who married his long-time partner Jelena Ristic after winning
Wimbledon last year, will celebrate his 28th birthday exactly a week
after Murray. They are umbilically linked, a blessing as much as a
curse, because such propinquity serves up constant comparison.
-- Kevin Mitchell, "Andy Murray must work harder if he is to end Novak
Djokovic torture," The Guardian, April 5, 2015 Origin Propinquity
entered English in the mid-1300s and can be traced to the Latin
propinquitās meaning "nearness." More From Dictionary.com Submit a
favorite word for a chance to win! Submit your favorite word to be a
future Word of the Day Our iPhone App Our award-winning iPhone app just
got better Word Dynamo Dictionary.com's new word game for iOS