[ourplace] Re: Monday Morning Nuggets for August 15, 2016

  • From: Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ourplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2016 21:58:20 -0700

hi, Walt,

Yes, I Just Don't Understand was Ann Margaret's only hit. Then she went on to doing movies.

Rosie

On 8/14/2016 9:54 PM, Walt Kramer wrote:

Mid-August already! Here in northeast Minnesota, it's possible for us to begin experiencing frost warnings anytime now. Hard to believe we're toward the back end of yet another summer. Well, let's get going with five more nuggets. Usual drill. The Dropbox link comes first; then, the track list.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3177119/Nuggets0815.zip

01 Peter, Paul and Mary, Big Boat

I don't think this one made the top 40. But it was one of the many fine album tracks by these three.

02 Ann Margret - I Just Don't Understand

I could be mistaken. But I believe this one, released in the summer of 61, was Ann Margret's only top 40 hit. She didn't really need any more once she got going with movies and Las Vegas appearances.

03 The Fortunes - Caroline

The first time I heard this was the sixth of August (a Saturday), thanks to Rewound Radio.

04 Don Robertson, Buttons And Bows

This release from the spring of 61 showcased the whistling talent featured in 56 on Don's first release, "The Happy Whistler", along with his piano playing ability. According to "Pink and Black Days" Alex Ward, Floyd Cramer borrowed this particular style from Don Robertson.

05 Buddy Holly, Holly Hop

This may not be the only instrumental Buddy Holly ever recorded. But it's the only one I know about.

Enjoy your Monday, have a good week, and remember: Nuggets will continue for the rest of this month, but be on hiatus during September.