[ourplace] Dennis o's, Sunday stuff from the Vets!

  • From: "Marty Rimpau" <mrimpau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "our place list" <ourplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 08:35:06 -0700

On this date in history, May 31st:

In 1678, the Godiva procession through Coventry began.

In 1790, President George Washington signed a bill creating the first
U.S. copyright law.

In 1889, a flood in Johnstown, Pa., left more than 2,200 people dead.

In 1902, Britain and South Africa signed a peace treaty ending the Boer
War.

In 1927, the final Ford Model T was built. (More than 15 million of the
vehicles were produced.)

In 1962, Israel hanged Adolf Eichmann for his part in the killing of 6
million Jews by Nazi Germany in World War II.

In 1985, seven federally insured banks in Arkansas, Minnesota, Nebraska
and Oregon were closed by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. It was a
single-day record for closings since the FDIC was founded in 1934.

In 2003, Eric Robert Rudolph, the long-sought fugitive in the 1996
Atlanta Olympics bombing and attacks on abortion clinics and a gay
nightclub, was arrested while rummaging through a Dumpster in North
Carolina. (Rudolph, whose bombings killed two people and injured many
others, was sentenced to four life terms in prison.)

In 2005, Mark Felt admitted that, while No. 2 man in the FBI, he was
Deep Throat, the shadowy contact whose help to Washington Post
reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein on the 1972 Watergate
break-in led to U.S. President Richard Nixon's resignation.

In 2010, Israeli navy commandos attacked a humanitarian aid flotilla
bound for Gaza. Nine Turkish activists on the Mavi Marmara were killed.

In 2012, John Edwards of North Carolina, former U.S. senator and
presidential candidate, was acquitted on a charge of taking illegal
campaign contributions, and a judge declared a mistrial on five other
charges against him.

In 2013, actress Jean Stapleton, known to millions of viewers as Edith
Bunker in the hit 1970s sitcom All in the Family, died at age 90 in New
York City.

In 2014, a private Gulfstream IV jet taking off at Hanscom Field in
Bedford, Mass., crashed and burned, killing all seven people aboard.
The victims included Lewis Katz, co-owner of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Those born on this date include:

Genghis Khan, leader of the Mongol Empire, in 1162

poet Walt Whitman in 1819

surgeon William Mayo, founder of the Mayo Clinic, in 1819

radio humorist Fred Allen in 1894

clergyman/author Norman Vincent Peale in 1898

actor Don Ameche in 1908

morist Fred Allen in 1894

actor Denholm Elliott in 1922

Prince Rainier of Monaco in 1923

actor/director Clint Eastwood in 1930 (age 85)

folk singer Peter Yarrow in 1938 (age 77)

country singer Johnny Paycheck in 1938

British human rights activist Terry Waite in 1939 (age 76)

actor Sharon Gless in 1943 (age 72)

football Hall of Fame member Joe Namath in 1943 (age 72)

British rock musician John Bonham in 1948

actor Tom Berenger in 1949 (age 66)

actor Gregory Harrison in 1950 (age 65)

actor Kyle Secor in 1957 (age 58)

comedian/actor/writer Chris Elliot in 1960 (age 55)

actor Lea Thompson in 1961 (age 54)

actor/model Brooke Shields in 1965 (age 50)

actor Colin Farrell in 1976 (age 39).

$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$

Geoff from FL tells this story about, 50th anniversary!

Their three kids, all successful, agreed to a Sunday dinner in their
honor.

"Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad," gushed Son No. 1.

'Sorry I'm running late. I had an emergency at the hospital with a
patient, you know how it is, and I didn't have time to get you a gift."

"Not to worry," said the father.

"Important thing is we're all together today."

Son No. 2 arrived. "You and Mom look great, Dad.

I just flew in from LA between depositions and didn't have time to shop
for you."

"It's nothing," said the father.

"We're glad you were able to come."

Just then the daughter arrived.

"Hello and happy anniversary! Sorry, but my boss is sending me out of
town and I was really busy packing so I didn't have time to get you
anything."

After they had finished dessert, the father said,

"There's something your mother and I have wanted to tell you for a long
time.

"You see, we were really poor, but we managed to send each of you to
college.

Through the years your mother and I knew we loved each other very much,
but we just never found the time to get married."

The three children gasped and said,

"WHAT? You mean we're bastards?"

"Yep", said the father,

"Cheap ones, too

1~

Mike from NY talks about, An Irishman bonding with his son.......

While reading an article last night about fathers and sons, memories
came flooding back to the time I took me son out for his first pint.

Off we went to our local pub only two blocks from the cottage.

I got him a Guinness.

He didn't like it, so I drank it.

Then I got him a Kilkenny's, he didn't like that either, so I drank it.

Finally, I thought he might like some Harp Lager.

He didn't. I drank it.

I thought maybe he'd like whiskey better than beer so we tried a
Jameson's, nope!

In desperation, I had him try that rare Redbreast, Ireland's finest.

He wouldn't even smell it.

What could I do but drink it!

By the time I realized he just didn't like to drink I was so shit-faced
I could hardly push his stroller back home.

~2`

Bill, that retired Navy chief, from FL sent, Hello?

The phone rings & a woman answers . . .

A pervert, with heavy breathing, says, "I bet you have a tight ass with
no hair!"

Woman replies, "Yes I do, he's watching golf - who shall I say is
calling?"

3~~~

You are subscribed to Ourplace (
ourplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
). To unsubscribe, send blank email with "unsubscribe" in the subject line; do
not include quotation marks:
ourplace-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
. To contact the owner or moderator, send email to
ourplace-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
. Please do not put your complaints on the list. Thanks for your cooperation!