[otb] 07/20/06 OTB Update

  • From: "victor" <victor@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: otb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:05:58 -0400

Dear Friends and Family in the Lord:

?Well, I haven?t gotten an update in a while.?  I have heard that way more
than I ought to lately.  It?s not that nothing is happening.  It?s just that
I haven?t been able to be online in some time.  The camp in Manton last week
was really in the hinter lands.  There was one phone line (inaccessible to
us) on the campus.  We were quite unplugged.  The camp was nice, the kids
were great and the people there seemed pleased with our work.  We had a
prayer team that covered the whole camp every day, and that was wonderful!
Jesus met us there and we had fruit for our labors and help with the
harvest.  (Thanks Pat and Clarence.)  But the consequences of being secluded
are that we may not have answered your e-mails for a while.  Thank you,
Jesus, for cell phones.
Speaking of cell phones, we are switching our service over to another server,
so our number may not be available in the next 24-48 hours.  If you try to
reach us, just be patient and call back again.  I?m not sure if we will get
messages or not.  The number will be the same.  You can always leave us a
message at home and we pick those up regularly.  (606) 464-3481.  Or e-mail
us back.  We have had online access at a friend?s house all this week and
have caught up on quite a few things.
We begin another family camp tomorrow for ten days and are looking forward to
seeing friends there and seeing how much the kids at camp have grown.  It?s
fun to return to a camp where we have been before.  We renew friendships and
build on a foundation in programming that we have already laid.  It?s amazing
what we learn from our campers.
In the summer, we play a game called ?Duck, Duck, Splash!?  As campers sit in
a circle on the grass, a child is given a water balloon with a pin hole in
it, allowing a tiny spray of water to wet each child as they walk around the
circle saying ?Duck?duck?. duck?.? and with a squeeze on the balloon over
their buddies head, and a shout of ?Splash!? the balloon bursts, showering
the chosen one in cool water. They are supposed to jump up and chase
the ?splasher? around the circle and if the catch them, they sit inside the
circle and the ?splashee? becomes the one going around with their water
balloon.  They come that day prepared for water balloons.  We tell them ahead
of time to ?dress for the mess?.   There is always one who doesn?t want to
get wet who sits out.  I have never understood that, but the one that really
confuses me is the little girl who knows what will happen, stays in the game
having fun until she gets splashed, and then bursts into tears.  Did she not
know she would get wet too?  All around kids are begging, ?Pick me!? ?Pick
me!? Oh, to be the one who gets soaked!  Yet she cries.
It reminds me of some of us when God asks us to get really involved in the
great commission.  ?I can?t do that!  It doesn?t fit into my life
goals!?  ?Them?!  I can?t get messed up in their problems.?  ?Let my children
play with their children!?  Are you insane?!?   Lord, please help me to be
willing to get really wet?or dirty?or just really, really uncomfortable?for
your sake.  Let my heart?s cry be ?Pick me!  Pick me!?
Have a refreshing summer and let us know how you are?if you have time.
God bless,              Linda, Victor, Tim, Evan, and Nate Schiro

P.S.  I love the phrase ?It?s always in the last place I look!?  What?s the
alternative?  You find it, and yet you just go on looking?  Hmmm.

http://www.otbusa.org
the Subject field.