[otb] 06-28-06 OTB Update

  • From: "victor" <victor@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: otb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:19:37 -0400

June 28, 2006

Dear Friends and Family in the Lord:

Junior Camp is a microcosm of the world at large.  I outta know.  I run the
drink line.   It is a simple matter of keeping the juice and tea machines
clean and filled, the coffee machines clean and filled, the creamer, stirrer,
sugar, etc. containers clean and filled, ice and cups available, etc.  Many
weeks, I?m sure this is a routine job.  However, during junior week, that is
not the case.  There are no moms with these campers.  The counselors are very
often only in Jr. High themselves.  I have learned a few things:
A.  A junior age child will always choose the most sugary cereal available,
and given the opportunity, the most sugary bowlful, (the one from the very
bottom of the container.)
B.       Without encouragement to eat, they will fill up on hot chocolate or
chocolate milk (to the tune of two or three helpings) and throw most of the
nutritious food away because they are too full.
C.  Unsupervised, they will consume disgusting things in great quantities to
impress their friends, i.e. suck Splenda out of little packets with a drink
stirrer, or drink Hazelnut creamers straight, five or six at a time(I think
it?s gross, even in coffee), make cocktails of every juice and coffee on the
line just to drink a gulp and throw the whole mess away.
D.       They cannot use a cappuccino/cocoa machine without a mess.
I am positive that somewhere, there is a mom who works very hard to teach
proper nutrition to above mentioned juniors.  She provides nutritious meals
and monitors sugar intake on her precious ones.  But, ya know what?  She?s not
here.  Junior is on his own.  There are adults here trying their best to keep
all 250 in line, but they can?t be everywhere.  We have now removed the
chocolate milk, cappuccino/cocoa machines, and Splenda, and we watch the sugar
and creams for excess, but eventually in life, it will come down to learning
self control.

Somewhere in the great ?drink line in the air? there are heavenly host saying,
?Do you see how they choose wrong things for themselves when their Father has
offered them such good things?  Do you see the waste of the good things and
the gluttony and hoarding of the bad?  What are they thinking of??  Lord,
today make our hearts hungry for the good things of Your Word.  Help us dole
out heaping helpings of servant-hood.  Make us conduit that can fill them up
with something sweeter than honey, the warmth of Your love, through us.  Amen

We are well, and are finishing our last week here at Maranatha as Camp Staff,
and are gearing up to start the summer OTB schedule here with Family Camp
beginning Saturday night.   We will be a week more here, then two days at
Ogallala before heading off to Michigan for three plus weeks.  Thank you for
your prayers.  This has been a rewarding experience in so many ways for all of
us.   God bless you and we?d love to hear a reply back from you, too.

Linda, Vic, Tim, Evan, and Nate Schiro, Out of the Box Performance Arts

http://www.otbusa.org
the Subject field.