[orion-announce] Orion Status

  • From: Marc Mulcahy <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: orion-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 14:51:30 -0700

Hello All:

There have been several questions by some of our customers regarding the
upcoming release of the Orion products. I want to assure you that our silence
in responding to your questions is due to the fact that we are working
diligently to ensure that we exceed your expectations with these products!

As most of you know, we have been partnering with the American Printing House
for the Blind, (APH) in development of these products. Our original agreement
included development of both a device with a Braille display, and a voice-only
device. Though some challenges have delayed market introduction, those very
challenges have resulted in a higher level of research which has solidified our
confidence that the level of customer satisfaction in these products will be
exceeded!

As we reach the final stages of development and approach the production stages
of the project, Levelstar Management has decided to invest all energies into
the APH version of the products. This decision will allow for the earliest
possible market introduction of product. The APH Braille Plus 18 Second
Generation and the Braille Plus Second Generation will include all the features
and benefits as planned for the Orion. Though a first quarter 2012 introduction
date is anticipated for the APH Braille Plus 18 Second Generation, all
questions regarding availability and pricing of the Braille Plus Second
Generation products should be directed to the American Printing House for the
Blind.

Subsequent to the release of the APH products, LevelStar Management will
evaluate the feasibility of bringing the products to market under our own brand
name. It's clear from feedback we've received that people are confused about
the feature and benefit differences between the Orion and the APH Braille Plus
Second Generation products. An absence of any differences between the products
would indeed result in confusion and not benefit anyone in the process and
detract from our goal that is to fulfill the needs of our customers through
dedicated research, resulting in the highest quality product!

We very much appreciate your interest and share in your excitement as to the
world that will be opened with the Braille Plus 18 Second Generation and
Braille Plus Second Generation Products!

Respectfully,

Marc Mulcahy
Vice President Engineering
Levelstar, LLC