[orebird] Re: A few procedural questions

  • From: "W. Douglas Robinson" <w.douglas.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: orebird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 08:01:31 -0800

Regarding raptor runs, it's been a long process, but I am working with Jeff
Fleischer to get each segment on each raptor route geo-referenced and measured.
The raptor survey data can then be archived in eBird as a series of short
traveling routes, rather than very long routes. They are incomplete checklists
because not all bird species are counted, but the locations will be much more
precise. My team has completed the process of getting GPS for each segment, and
Jeff is now error checking this for us.

Regarding crossbills, I usually can type them in the field, but it has taken a
lot of practice. I send recordings to Matt Young to double check (I don't tell
him what I think they are, so it's an independent process). Typically, I have
just added to my checklist entry a comment about what type I think the birds
are. I agree that it raises lots of challenges if folks identify crossbills to
type when entering the data without having a sound file to share. It is super
easy to confuse the types for lots of reasons. Some of those reasons include:
knowing which calls to be comparing because crossbills make many different
varieties of calls that also vary by age of the bird; wind or distance
distortion affecting what you hear and/or record; mixed flocks of types that
occur in some places. So, good to ask for a recording whenever possible.
Probably won't be long before we can record calls with our smart phones and
have an app tell us the most likely type, save the spectrogram, and upload it
directly to our checklists. So cool.

Doug