xml question

  • From: "Michael McMullen" <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 11:48:01 -0400

Oracle 9.2.0.4
Until yesterday I knew nothing of xml.
Classic development cycle. They want to give us the data via xml and we have
to try and figure it out and they're not even sure what they're doing. I
believe the file they gave me isn't a true xml file. Here's an example
"04-05-2004 10:12:34","1123690","I18248","420","O","<?xml version='1.0'
encoding='UTF-8'?> -- this is the first line, I believe this is a record
stating time of order, who did it, order no. etc.
<newConnectRequest xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation='newConnect2.xsd'> - this is the second line
which is the record. I have not posted the rest of the record but it
includes all of the attributes. So after this record we would see something
similar to line 1 followed by a new record.
My question is. Does anyone think oracle will be able to recognize this as
xml without any type of preprocessing? ie. If this is a schema based xml and
I get newConnect2.xsd and register it in the database, I can then load my
file and have the table populated? I'm not even sure if I have a schema
based xml. I'm also thinking I would have to strip out the lines like line 1
from the file.

Hope I'm clear

Thanks
Mike