RE: xml access how to set up security access etc

  • From: "Justin Cave (DDBC)" <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:44:23 -0600

=20
What do you mean "the supplier of the site takes care of security on his
side"?  Security needs to be implemented at both side of this sort of
setup to prevent unauthorized people from submitting reservations to
your system.  You also need to have a way to ensure that reservations
are non-repudiatable, basically that you can prove that reservation
requests came from the supplier the message claims to come from.

I don't see how you can get close to this with just a database-- an
application server seems like an absolutely necessary component here.
You'll probably want to expose a web service to the internet that allows
customers to submit their XML request, validates it, and passes the
request to the database.  Opening up a connection to a database on the
internet would create pretty significant security concerns that would
be, in my opinion, impossible to address.  Plus, you want layers of
security in this sort of system, which necessitates extra tiers.

One note about your comment on wanting the application server for other
development purposes.  Since you will be deploying this application
server outside the intranet firewall in the DMZ, it won't be appropriate
to deploy internal-only applications there.  You would want an
application server inside the intranet firewall to handle those
applications.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC