Re: very odd problem....oracle support has been no help so far.

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:23:03 +0100

On Fri, 21 May 2004 16:58:31 +0100, David Sharples
<dsharples@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Its not a password file error, it means some other instance has the
> database mounted (or thinks it has) it uses the lk$SID file to determine
> this

Not necessarily. :( We had a situation just recently 8174 on Windows
with the same symptoms that Chris describes.

In our case what happened was that a rogue executable started creating
multiple shadow processes/threads until the process limit was hit.
Shutting down the database and restarting gave us exactly the same
error - unable to mount exclusive - this was because as soon as Oracle
became available again these rogue threads reconnected - naturally the
3rd party app runs with dba privs so even startup restrict didn't
work. Our solution was to kill the client executable, restart the
database and then and only then restart the client program. Anyway
this was detectable from the alert.log which contained

ALTER DATABASE   MOUNT
Thu May 20 09:34:11 2004
ORA-09341: scumnt: unable to mount database
OSD-04400: unable to acquire internal semaphore for process
O/S-Error: (OS 183) Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

OSD-04400 led us to the cause.

though the sqlplus session got ORA-01102

bottom line 1102 seems to get thrown on multiple errors at mount stage

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA