RE: upgrading to 10g and OEM

  • From: "Reidy, Ron" <Ron.Reidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-db-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ue006549@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracledba@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-rdbms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:59:05 -0700

Answers below ...
-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Beckstrom
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:57 AM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-db-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
ue006549@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
oracledba@xxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-rdbms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: upgrading to 10g and OEM

Since I want to use Grid Control does that mean I have to:
1.  Install 10g and upgrade database
Yes
2.  Install 10g agent
Yes
3.  Switch from Database Control to Grid Control
I would.  DB control only manages 1 DB instance.  GC, on the other hand,
can manage many instances.

>>> "Orlando Moroni" <ue006549@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 1/3/06 8:51:02 AM

Jeffrey,
install EM Agent 10g (or EM Management Services 10g) is not a
pre-requisite for the database upgrade.

1. You can run Database Upgrade Assistant  without EM Agent, the new 10g
database will be managed by Enterprise Manager Database Control Console
10g.
Enterprise Manager Database Control Console 10g permits to administer a
single Oracle Database 10g with a Web interface very similar to EM Grid
Control.

2.  EM Grid Control has an architecture very different from OMS.   You
cannot use EM Agent 10g with OMS, but you could manage Database 10g with
the old OMS (with Agent 9i). To use EM Grid Control 10g  you must
install EM Grid Control Management Services  10g (and create the new
repository) and install the new EM Agent 10g on every node to
administer.

Bye,
Orlando