RE: tracing explaining PL/SQL

  • From: "Cary Millsap" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:47:26 -0500

David,

Extended SQL trace works great for PL/SQL blocks. The following session
generates a little more than 1MB of trace data on my laptop:

connect system/manager
exec sys.dbms_support.start_trace(true, true)
/
declare
        c number;
begin
        select count(*) into c from v$session;
        select count(*) into c from dba_source;
end;
/
disconnect
/

If you have a PL/SQL block for which the block's execution time is far
greater than the sum of its interior SQL statements' execution times, then
you should investigate the DBMS_PROFILER package.

I believe you can use EXPLAIN PLAN only on an individual SQL statement, not
a PL/SQL block.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 9/14 San Francisco, 10/5 Charlotte, 10/26
Toronto
- SQL Optimization 101: 9/20 Hartford, 10/18 New Orleans
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...