RE: temp tablespace blow up

  • From: "Alvaro Jose Fernandez" <alvaro.fernandez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lyallbarbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:58:56 +0200

Lyall,

Extents from temporary sort segments are allocated to one sessions at a time
only, and are not deallocated until that session frees them. They are not
shared between sessions.

I think it would be reasonable to set extent size = 1 Mbyte , and set
PCTINCREASE=0 and INITIAL=NEXT (this way freed extents will match the next
request extent size, and no need for SMON to consolidate freed extents, I
think). Intermintently, run a

select sid, serial#, vs.osuser, extents, contents, blocks from v$session vs,

    v$sort_usage su  where vs.saddr = su.session_addr ;

to learn session's usage.

In 8.1 there are much more options (EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL/uniform extent
size).

¿You cannot upgrade?

regards

 --

If the temp tablespace is going to grow quickly, it's because of some (or
somessss) query that need to run through a lot of rows, right?  Wouldn't you

Lyall