tar exclusions

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 22:50:25 +0100

I figured this list would be a good place to ask.I had recently to tar a
(15g) directory tree on Linux for transfer to a new host. The tree had a
rather large number of log and trace files that we didn't wish to move. No
problem build an exclusion list and use

I killed this after 10 hours. I then removed the old log and trace files
saving about 1gb of space only and created a new (blank) exclusion list

took 40 mins. Is this likely to be a side effect of removing compression
(the server was pretty much idle apart from me so I didn't expect the cpu
cycles to be an issue) or of having a ludicrously large exclusion list.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA