Re: superblock backups, ASM vs OCFS2

  • From: "Finn Jorgensen" <finn.oracledba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:24:16 -0500

Jeremy,

I don't know the answer to your question but this reasoning :

>This seems to me to be a great reason to choose OCFS2 over ASM.  Recovering
a backup superblock is MUCH faster than recreating the entire volume and
restoring data from backup!!!

is like saying you should use MySQL instead of Oracle because if you lose
one file you can just restore that one file and carry on. No downtime, no
recovery. Once human error enters the picture all bets are off. What if your
"someone" had decided to dd a bunch of data into the device your OCFS2
filesystem is built on? Your superblock backup would have been obsolete.
What if the performance requirements for your database aren't satisfied by
OCFS2?

Your question is valid and interesting I just don't see it as a reason to
choose one option over the other.

Finn