RE: sql server 2000 and Oracle 10.1 - it's not the size of the database that matters, it's how you use it

  • From: "Jacques Kilchoer" <Jacques.Kilchoer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:37:57 -0700

I'm sure you're right, but when Larry and Bill play poker, I bet they
compare database sizes to see who has the biggest.

  _____

Darrell Landrum

These numbers are fun to talk about, but really, the software
capabilities on both accounts far exceed the reasonable functionality of
today's typical hardware.  Consider a circumstance of an HP-UX server
with vxfs, I wouldn't want a 128 GB filesystem, much less a single 128
GB datafile  (and forget about backing up petabytes of data, Veritas, a
40+ unit tape library with Ultrium drives and gigabit network struggle
with the 4 or 5 TBs we have today).