Re: size of Incremental Backups verses Redo Generated

  • From: kyle Hailey <kylelf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:09:08 -0700

As a follow up, is there a way to use Block Change Tracking to see the
number of blocks changed and thus to calculate the size of the incremental
backup and calculate the relationship between the incremental backup size
and redo generated? Doesn't look like it though from Alex Gorbachev's
excellent paper
       http://www.pythian.com/documents/Pythian-oracle-block-change.pdf
there is an upper side formula using the BCT info:

SELECT count(distinct bno) * 32

FROM x$krcbit b

WHERE b.fno = 7 AND b.vercnt >=

(SELECT MIN(ver) FROM

(SELECT curr_vercnt ver, curr_highscn high, curr_lowscn low

FROM x$krcfde WHERE fno = 7

UNION ALL

SELECT vercnt ver, high, low

FROM x$krcfbh WHERE fno = 7)

WHERE (SELECT MAX(bd.checkpoint_change#)

FROM v$backup_datafile bd

WHERE bd.file# = 7

AND bd.incremental_level <= 1) between low and high);

Apparently though BCT tracks  32K chunks that have a change in them but if
 the database blocks are 8K, then each 32K will have 4 datablocks and of
those 4, we can’t determine how many have been change – at least one and no
more than 4 so the script in the worst case could be off by a factor of 4.

Thanks
Kyle
http://db-optimizer.blogspot.com/