Re: session timeout in 10g

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cstephens16@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:08:49 -0400

On 8/30/05, Chris Stephens <cstephens16@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I recently installed 10gR2 on red hat 3. i am getting disconnected through
> toad and isqlpus. i haven't determined the exact lenght of time this takes
> to occur yet.
>
> i looked in sqlnet.ora for a timeout setting but there is nothing there.
> is this default behavior? if so how do i change it?
>
> thanks,
> chris

Chris,

Unless your DBA has set profiles that limit connect time, this is most
likely a networking issue. Even with a resource limit of connect_time, it
would still just "snipe" the session, not kill it itself until another call
is made.

Is the oracle client on the same LAN as the oracle server - meaning, do you
traverse a router or firewall where NAT/IP masquerading is involved?

An easy way to tell is if a netstat (from the client desktop) returns a high
port and an IP address different than that of the oracle server.

You might consider enabling keep_alive settings in the oracle network
configuration files.
Metalink has various notes covering this, as well as the Networking guide
available via OTN.

As far as iSqlplus, I haven't a clue. Never used it. Knew that there was an
exploit for itearly on, so I never installed it.

hth.

Paul

--
#/etc/init.d/init.cssd stop