RE: rman nocatalog - required maintenance on the control file

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:02:21 -0500

Peter
    My understanding is that you can only indirectly affect the control
file. Robert Freeman has a good paragraph on it in his book. Basically I
think when the controlfile runs out of room, it first deletes backup records
in excess of the CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME. If that doesn't free up
enough space, then it expands the control file. The major rule is don't have
C_F_R_K_T less than you will ever want to recover to. The second rule is
don't bump C_F_R_K_T to a huge value because your control file might keep
growing. The third rule is don't worry to much about the extra records in
the control file because you probably can't affect it in a positive manner.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means
doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case,
the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive."
-- C.S. Lewis