Re: restore controlfile from tag with no recovery catalog

  • From: De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 10:59:09 +1000

I guess you may need to catalog the backup after restoring the control file, as
all records won't necessarily be there after the restore. What is the error
that RMAN is giving you?

As an aside, I have had problems in a similar scenario when the "keep" backup
was a hot backup, because it wanted a log file for the recovery that was active at the
time of the backup. Never succeeded in working out why, but archiving that log after the
backup and presenting it to RMAN on recovery solved it.

Cheers,
Tony

On 04/11/15 09:05, max scalf wrote:

Hello list,

this is on 11.2.0.4 with "No Recovery catalog" in place. I used the below
command to create a special backup, so that it is not deleted by delete backup script(as
our retention policy is set to 7 days).

BACKUP database FILESPERSET 1 FORMAT '/path/to/backup/file/%d_TAG_NAME_%s_%U'
tag 'TAG_NAME' keep until time 'sysdate+50';

Now I want to restore using this specific backup from this TAG. I know if i
have recover catalog in place, i can connect to that, and do restore
controlfile from tag='TAG_NAME' but how do i do the same when no recovery
catalog.

Lets says i lost everything(datafiles, redo logs, control files, spfile)...from what i
under about the "keep until" clause it should encapsulate everything(datafile,
controlfile, spfile if its in place)... so now if i want to restore, as my control file
is gone, how do i restore from these tags ?

I tried something like below but that does not seem to work...

run {
set controlfile autobackup format for device type disk to
'/path/to/backup/file/%d_TAG_NAME_%s_%p_%t_%U';
restore controlfile from autobackup validate;
}

run {
set controlfile autobackup format for device type disk to
'/path/to/backup/file/%d_TAG_NAME_%s_%p_%t_%U';
restore controlfile from tag='TAG_NAME';
}

here are the RMAN config(show all) that i am using..

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO
'/path/to/backup/file/%d_ctl_%F';
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 2 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET;
CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT
'/path/to/backup/file/%d_%s_%p_%t_%U';