RE: packages becoming invalid at random

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:24:06 -0400

If you perform DDL against an object then other objects/code dependent
on that object potentially go invalid.  With 11g Oracle has improved the
level of granularity for dependency checking but with 10g and below it
is pretty much at the object level.  If you alter a table to add,
modify, or remove a column then triggers on the table, views that
reference the table, and stored code: packages, procedures, and
functions that reference the table become invalid.

See the DBA_DEPENDENCIES view and the related documentation

-- Mark D Powell --
HP Enterprise Services
Phone (313) 592-5148