oracle downgrade support

  • From: "Gamble, Scott" <Scott.Gamble@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:06:44 -0500

I have been reading the thread on tech support with some interest and =
was triggered to post.

We are currently in the middle of upgrading all our databases to =
9.2.0.4. Production databases are scheduled to start upgrading next =
month and as part of our testing our management requires us to test and =
document a downgrade procedure.  This is mostly due to a situation that =
occurred in our upgrade from 8.0.6->8.1.7 and hitting a crippling =
performance bug in 8.1.7 that brought the business almost to a halt. We =
struggled through a few weeks of fighting with Oracle support to get =
them to accept it as a bug and when they did it was going to be a month =
until they had a patch for it.  During that time management decided they =
could no longer live with the problem and we had to get back to 8.0.6 as =
quickly as possible. Well the downgrade procedure failed miserably due =
to another issue with the software and it was another week until we were =
able to downgrade.

Needless to say management is a bit concerned about major upgrades and =
being able to downgrade. Obviously if a major problem is found early =
enough restoring the cold backup from before the upgrade is the best =
option. But say the bug is not found for 1 week and Oracle cannot fix it =
for 1 month.

According to document 208201.1 on metalink downgrading from =
9.2.0.1->8.1.7 is doable. Assuming that patch sets are mostly bug fixes =
does that not imply that you can go from 9.2.0.4 to 8.1.7?

We have tested this with 2 databases that mimic 2 of our production =
databases. Both have been unsuccessful with 1 having invalid sys objects =
after the downgrade and the other getting ora-600's on materialized view =
refreshes.

After opening 2 different tars with oracle for these issues they have =
both come back with slightly different answers 1) database downgrades =
are not supported 2) downgrading from a patch set is not supported =
(meaning 9.2.0.4) only downgrading from the base release of 9.2.0.1. =
There answer was in both cases to restore the cold backup from prior to =
the upgrade or import/export to downgrade.

Does it really seem correct that Oracle does not support downgrades or =
are we just hitting bad information from support?

Scott Gamble
Oracle DBA - ERP and DB Technology Engineering=20
Cardinal Health,  Medical Products and Services
(847)-578-5673 scott.gamble@xxxxxxxxxxxx