RE: oracle 10g --linux install issues

  • From: "Ellis R. Miller" <sartre1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:53:08 -0600

Harv,

This is a decent link:
http://staff.in2.hr/denis/oracle/10g1install_fedora1_en.html This guide
specifically covers installing Oracle 10G on Fedora, which is the extension
of Red Hat Linux open source project, of course.

Aside from this, Fedora has the yum command (similar to Solaris pkg-get
utility) that is very useful for viewing and updating installed packages:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

I should mention I have also leveraged the Red Hat Network Alert
Notification Tool 2.1.2, similar to the  "Windows Update" utility offering a
desktop GUI providing all the functionality of rpm, yum, or, in the case of
Solaris, pkg-get.

I am generally a recluse these days but felt inspired to toss you this
mediocre assist. Also, I in using the above Fedora utilities I have
experienced similar issues with potentially corrupt/unsigned packages, etc.

Time to return to GTA Vice City, my real passion.

Ellis

PS Oracle 10G is not yet certified on Fedora but I have been running it for
several months without any issues although this very minor "hack" is
required to fool the OUI:

        ...have to make Oracle installer think that we have one of the supported
distributions: Create a         backup of your /etc/redhat-release file, an
change
its contents:

        # cp /etc/redhat-release /etc/redhat-release.orig
        # echo "Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon)" >
/etc/redhat-release