measuring NFS read/write latencies

  • From: "Jeremy Paul Schneider" <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:26:59 -0700

I just posted this as a question on Kevin Closson's blog but actually it
might be a good one for the list...

iptraf is a nice way to monitor NFS throughput (I just did a blog post this
morning about it) - but does anyone know any way to measure latencies at the
OS level for NFS?  For block devices iostat reports it in the "await" and
"svctm" columns (the former includes time in the request queue) - but I'm
not sure how I could do this with NFS devices and it's a piece of
information I'd really like to know.  Oracle reports some figures for
datafiles but I'd like to see figures from a lower level and I don't think
Oracle measures latencies on files such as online logs, archive logs, or
control files.  (Or does it?)

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider