love-hate relationship

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:39:14 +0000

With Grid Control....

So I generally rather like Grid Control (so shoot me). We have had fun
though with bugs in older agents trying to monitor newer
databases (specifically a 10.2.0.2 agent will hit 100% cpu constantly when
trying to monitor a 10.2.0.4 db and higher if the health check metric is
enabled). So we've updated the agents to 10.2.0.5.

Now I'm trying to add a new monitored database instance. However the add new
database page displays incorrectly and cannot be used to add new database
targets. I'd say this was fairly serious. This turns out to be a known bug

CauseThe oms 10.2.0.2 is too old and its not able to parse the response of
the 10.2.0.5 agent

 backward compatibility, who needs backward compatibility. Or testing for
that matter.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA