Re: java for the database

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:56:18 -0600

> Chris,

It's not important to start with an ERD. What it's important, IMHO, is to
> independently design the application and the database. When the two designs
> exist you can think about the mapping of data between the two worlds...

The problem I've experienced is that the Java people will try to create
their class diagrams first, and directly create the database schema from
those, ie., create a table to persist each class. Then insist the
application must be put into production immediately to meet the development
deadlines. If the DBA objects, well that is just another example of those
obstinate DBAs.

Dennis Williams