RE: impdp performance in 11.1 vs 11.2

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sethmiller.sm@xxxxxxxxx>, <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 20:44:22 -0400

I believe you said the same thing. One thread of index creation, but “each
index in parallel up to the degree of parallelism of the job.” The way I read
that is serially doing one index at a time at the parallelism of PX slaves
matching the parallelism of the job.

When under time pressure you can work around this by NOT having impdp do the
index creates. Arrange to have your biggest few tables loaded first and run the
index creation scripts in multiple threads table by table so you get some
drafting of the read part of index build because it has just been done into
cache. 11.2 plus this *MAY* mean a special table read job to avoid adaptive
direct read so the table does pump through cache and you avoid multiple
repetitive block cleanouts and multiple physical reads.

IF you have plenty of time, avoid this slippery slope toward CTD. (tm gaja).