hp help...

  • From: Chris Stephens <ChrisStephens@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:51:59 -0500

Earlier this week I attempted to install 9i on a production HP server =
(after
doing this a number of times elsewhere).  The installer initially =
wasn't
able to launch due to lack of tmp space.  So I got the sys admin to =
clean
out some tmp and attempted once more.  Still not enough tmp.  Sys admin
cleaned out more.  I launched the installer and found we didn't have =
enough
space on /u01 to complete the install.  I quit out of the installer and =
went
to lunch.  During lunch the machine began having problems.  Any attempt =
log onto any database on the machine resulted in errors indicating =
oracle
couldn't spawn new processes.  Then for a while we weren't able to =
telnet
into the machine at all.  Finally we were able to telnet in and =
couldn't run
the simplest of commands.
 i.e.  =3D>ll
=A0
ksh: cannot fork: no swap space

and:

TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
 TNS-12540: TNS:internal limit restriction exceeded
  TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
   TNS-00510: Internal limit restriction exceeded
    HPUX Error: 12: Not enough space

Was found in the listener log.

Then the problem appeared to go away.  Everything was running fine.  =
Then it
came back in full force...all the while I hadn't touched the installer =
which
(in my mind) only confirms it had nothing to do with runInstaller.sh.  =
The
sysadmins couldn't think of anything but reboot.  Now there's all this
hoo-ha about why I brought down a production server.  I've pressed for =
any
evidence that launching the installer, and corresponding tmp space =
issue
(for at most 30 seconds) could bring the thing to a halt..........all I =
can
get is a 'it was your app!'.  I plan to educate myself on perfview to =
see if
I can get anywhere with that. But........can anyone suggest a quick way =
look back and see what was taking up so many resources?  Any ideas for
finding the root cause?  ...i can get around in Unix but I wouldn't =
know
where to start to troubleshoot an os problem.

...also....i've always thought that tmp and swap performed independent
functions.  Correct?  Our sysadmin claims that my issues with tmp =
caused the
swap issues.  Swap=3Dfor paging /// tmp=3Dworkarea for various apps.

Thanks for any help.