Re: "free buffer waits" under eXtreme Transaction Loads

  • From: Raj Jamadagni <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 04:19:31 -0700 (PDT)

Tanel

I believe that method you describe is called Method H (as in Hope). This is a
method in which DBAs
and others do random acts of changes to their database in HOPE that one of them
will work and do
some magic. All these acts result in temporary moments of magic followed by
long term suffering of
one's database. Databases don't like that, databases, like other people, prefer
company of
thoughtful DBAs.

Raj
--- Tanel_Põder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Hi Tanel which is Method F?
>
> Method F is a trial-and-error method of changing random parameters and
> creating random indexes in case of Oracle performance problems, which leads
> to lots of wasted time and efforts in longer term and which might cause
> performance for end users even to degrade, although "all the silver bullets
> are applied, thus the database runs optimally".
>
> Tanel.

=====
Best Regards
Raj