difference between dba_snapshots and dba_mviews

  • From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:14:26 -0400

Oracle 10.1 on solaris

First off, dba_snapshots appears to be obsolete because I don't see it
listed as a data dictionary view in the 10g docs. I am trying to export a
database and import it to a nother database. I have about 40 materialized
views that have compile_state = 'ERROR' which are not being exported.

The interested thing with how export pulls materialized views is that it
exports it as a table with the data and then makes a snapshot (so it looks
like it turns it into a materialized view. I am not real familiar with the
create snapshot command).

For the mviews that have errors, the snapshot does not get exported. Also, I
can't get metadata with dbms_metadata(I did a diff in sql developer and it
could not pull them, I get an error in my diff.sql).

Here is something else that is interested. All of these views that have
errors have never been refreshed according to dba_mviews, but according to
dba_snapshots they were refreshed last night.

This is a bit confusing. Does anyone have more experience than I do with
this?